Scalable without compromise
The unique mechanical design offers outstandingly easy assembly and service friendly spring contact technology. Opposed to conventional solder or press-fit modules with specific equipment required (automated presses, wave-soldering machine), no dedicated tools are needed for MiniSKiiP assembly. Instead, one or two screws connect everything from driver to heatsink.
Assemble the printed circuit board (PCB), power module and heatsink in one mounting step. For higher flexibility, the PCB does not need holes for solder pins or press-fit connections. The springs connecting the PCB and power circuitry are far superior to soldered joints, increasing lifetime under thermal or mechanical stress. Thanks to the high mechanical pressure provided by the springs, achieve an airtight, reliable electrical connection.
MiniSKiiP® with IGBT Generation 7
MiniSKiiP® Production Process
MiniSKiiP® Short Facts
- Available in six different housings
- Low-cost assembly, high production run rate, high yield
- Small and compact system designs
- Excellent reliability and long product life-time
- Low and medium power range from 400W up to 110kW
MiniSKiiP® Key Features
- Solder-free SPRiNG technology for fast and easy assembly
- Baseplate-less design allows cost efficient designs and high thermal performance
- Easy and flexible PCB routing with no pin holes required
- Comprehensive topology portfolio: CIB, bridge rectifier, sixpack, twelvepack, H-bridge, Half-Bridge, 3-level NPC/TNPC/ANPC, boost topologies (boost chopper, Flying Capacitor Boost, Symmetrical Boost)
With two decades of field experience and more than 50 million modules in the field, this module platform has proven successful in all standard applications. Key applications include motor and servo drives, solar inverters with 1000VDC and 1500VDC, UPS systems and welding machines. Thanks to the excellent reliability of spring contacts, applications such as agricultural vehicles or yaw and pitch drives in wind turbines benefit from MiniSKiiP technology as well.
MiniSKiiP® Product Range
The MiniSKiiP portfolio ranges from 600V to 1700V and 4A to 600A nominal chip currents. Along with the consolidated IGBT3 and IGBT4 portfolio, the latest IGBT Generation 7 and Silicon Carbide components are also equipped.
Motor drive topologies (CIB/sixpack/twelvepack/half-bridge) and accompanying full-, half- and un-controlled rectifiers and choppers.
NPC and symmetrical boost topologies for UPS applications, based on fast-switching 650V IGBTs and diodes, enable increased power density up to 100kVA.
Additionally, the latest chip technology, such as hybrid silicon carbide power modules, push the efficiency and power density to even higher levels. For fast evaluation, test PCB boards are available for most power modules. All power modules are also available with pre-applied High Performance Thermal Paste, a benchmark thermal interface material.
Our Solution for Motor Drives
The latest IGBT T7 chip generation:
- 20% lower forward voltage drop (Vce,sat) compared to IGBT 4
- 25% smaller chip size compared to IGBT 4
Example housing size jump: 50A CIB module in 35% smaller package
In the motor drive application:
- Up to 20% lower losses at the same output power, or up to 20% higher output power
Higher efficiency, increased power density and lower system cost
Scalable without compromise
- One inverter design concept from 1 to 110kW, 100% PCB based: minimum assembly time with solder free SPRiNG technology; module, PCB and heatsink can be mounted in one easy step
- Easy and flexible PCB routing without pin holes
- Available with pre-applied high performance thermal paste for maximum output power
- 110kW inverter design replacing copper bus bars with high-power PCBs
- Based on the Power Density Master features: IGBT T7, Silicon Nitride and High Performance Thermal Paste
- System cost savings of up to 18% with fewer materials used than in baseplate module solutions
- Same module sizes and contact technologies for all the components