Power Electronics for
Our solutions for your UPS system
Power Electronics for UPS Systems
The availability of infrastructure systems strongly depends on reliable power supplies, irrespective of whether these systems are servers and cloud storage systems, critical traffic control, hospital services or other essential supply systems.
Uninterruptable Power Supplies (UPS) ensure continuous operation of these critical systems. In SEMIKRON power modules, flexible topologies equipped with the latest IGBT and diode chips ensure maximum conversion efficiency for online double conversion UPS systems. This efficiency can be further improved using Silicon Carbide technology.
- LOW POWER AND MODULAR UPS SYSTEMS10kVA - 100kVAServer Rooms, Data Centres
- High efficiency systems
- Compact designs and high power density
- STANDALONE AND TOWER UPS SYSTEMS100kVA - 5MVAServer Rooms, Data Centres, Hospitals and Critical Control Systems
- High efficiency systems
- Compact designs and high power density
Compact and Efficient 100kVA Systems
UPS solutions for data centres today are based on modular UPS systems. In these systems several independent UPS modules in 19’’ frames are paralleled with single modules up to 100kVA. This achieves high scalability and easy implementation of redundancy.
The MiniSKiiP UPS power modules are available as symmetrical boost for the input stage and 3-level NPC topology for the output side. Both are based on fast swiching 650V IGBTs to allow high switching frequency and high efficiency at the same time, up to 100kVA output power. Optional Silicon Carbide components can increase efficiency even further.
- High power density thanks to MiniSKiiP UPS Power Modules
- Symmetrical Boost topology for battery voltage control and 3-level NPC topology for the output stage
- Designed for small power and 19’’ based modular UPS systems up to 100kVA
- Based on 650V IGBTs and Diodes, supporting up to 900V, optional Silicon Carbide components
- High power density system
- Easy mounting with just 2 screws per module thanks to SPRiNG technology, no soldering, not press-in process
Most Comprehensive UPS Portfolio
Highest UPS Power Density with SEMiX 5
With its comprehensive portfolio and its optimized design, the SEMiX 5 power modules are ideal for high-performance inverter architectures. The press-fit contacts ensure fast and solder-free driver board assembly, increased reliability and reduced assembly cost. An adapter board for easy gate drive integration is also available.
The internal chip layout is optimized for enhanced thermal performance, reducing operating temperatures and thus boosting reliability. The housing features rugged moulded power terminals for superior mechanical stability.
High power density thanks to comprehensive portfolio
- Biggest range of NPC and TNPC modules up to 400A nominal current
- Exceeding the standard: higher power density thanks to higher nominal currents in the same package
- Full range of symmetrical boost portfolio for input and battery charging
- Ready to use 3-level stack designs and application samples up to 500kW
SEMiX® 5Extended standard for superior thermal and dynamic performance
- Industry standard baseplate module
- 650V / 1200V / 1700V IGBT: 100A to 400A
- Sixpack, symmetrical boost, NPC and TNPC topologies
- Optimised module layout for maximum heat transfer
- Enhanced thermal and electrical diode performance
- Most complete 3-level and booster portfolio, up to 500kVA in parallel connection
MiniSKiiP®Solder-free spring technology for minimum assembly time
- Full family of power modules up to 300kW
- 650V / 1200V / 1700V IGBT: 4A to 400A
1200V Hybrid SiC: 50A to 150A
- Sixpack, twelvepack, H-bridge, half-bridge, 3-level and symmetrical boost topologies
- Easy and flexible PCB routing without pin holes
- MiniSKiiP UPS power modules for 100kVA 19" based modular systems
SEMIPACK®Bipolar modules from the market leader
- 6 housing sizes SEMIPACK 1 to 6
- 800V to 2200V: 20A to 1360A
- SEMIKRON diode and thyristor chips
- Diode and thyristor modules in half-bridge and single component topologies for uncontrolled, half- and full-controlled rectifiers and AC-controllers
- Different internal contact technologies for certain packages: high reliability pressure contact or cost-effective solder and wire bonded modules
- Perfect for charging and bypass topologies
SEMITOP® E1/E2Exceeding the standard for superior performance
- PCB based and press-fit connected baseplate-less industry standard power module in two housing sizes
- 650V and 1200V: 10A to 200A
- Standard and high speed IGBTs, IGBT T7 1200V Silicon Carbide: 40A to 250A
- Sixpack, half-bridge, buck/boost/symmetrical boost and 3-Level NPC/TNPC topologies
- Optimized mounting concept and pre-applied High Performance Thermal Paste provide lowest thermal resistance in class
- 1200V Hybrid SiC and SiC MOSFET modules up to 250A
SEMiX® 3 Press-FitExceeding the standard for superior performance
- 17mm high, industry standard housing with press-fit gate connectors
- 650V / 1200V / 1700V IGBT: 225A to 700A
1200V Hybrid SiC: 600A
- Half-Bridge and split NPC and buck/boost topologies
- Direct driver assembly
- Several types aAvailable with integrated shunt resistor
SEMITRANS® ClassicThe proven power electronics packages
- Robust industry standard packages for multiple sourcing in 5 housing sizes
- 600V / 650V / 1200V / 1700V IGBT: 50A to 900A
- 1200V Hybrid SiC and SiC MOSFET modules: 125A to 500A
- Half-bridge, single switch and buck/boost topologies, ready for TNPC / NPC / ANPC topology
- Multiple IGBT sources including Generation 7 IGBT M7
- Full power TNPC topology thanks to half-bridge and common emitter) modules with increased free-wheeling diode rating
SEMITRANS® 10Robust high power modules
- Established high power module package
- 1200V IGBT: 1400A
1700V IGBT: 1000A and 1400A
- Half-bridge and split NPC topologies
- Full second source product thanks to alternative 1700V chip source and Generation 7 IGBT M7
SEMITRANS® 20The new standard in high power
- The latest industry standard power modules for high power applications
- 1200V: 1400A
1700V: 1000A and 1200A
- Half-bridge topology
- Low stray inductance, high power density package
- Increased reliability thanks to the latest packaging technology
Intelligent Power Modules – IPMs
The Most Powerful IPM in the Market
The SKiiP IPM product line sets a benchmark for high performance and robust inverter designs. Both SKiiP 3 and SKiiP 4 feature high power densities combined with flexible cooling options such as air or water cooling, also with customized heatsinks. Reliable driver technology, integrated current sensors and comprehensive protection functions complete the IPM design.
The IPMs of SKiiP 3 platform have propagated widely through the industrial drive segment. With sixpack or half-bridge topologies, it covers a IGBT nominal current range from 500A up to 2400A.
The SKiiP 4 platform products, available in half-bridge topology, cover the highe power range up to 3600A IGBT nominal current. It has been optimized for highest power cycling requirements.
To ensure highest reliability and service life, the SKiiP 4 power circuitry is 100% solder-free. Sinter technology as die attach replaces the solder layers between semiconductor chips and DCB, which usually causes the limitation in lifetime. Hence, sintering improves power and thermal cycling capability.
The integrated gate driver in the SKiiP 4 has set new standards in terms of reliability and enhanced functionality through its CAN interface. The digital driver guarantees safe isolation between the primary and secondary side for both switching signals and parameter measurement. The CAN interface allows setting the SKiiP 4 configuration parameter and reading application parameter.
- 1200V and 1700V IGBTs
- Half-bridge and sixpack topology
- 500A to 3600A IGBT nominal current
- Flexible cooling options: air, water or customized cooling options, SKiiP 4 high performance water cooling for single and double-sided SKiiP mounting
- Paralleled operation for even higher output power possible
Power Electronic Stack Platforms
Fully Qualified Inverter Assemblies Tailored to Your Specific Needs
SEMIKRON’s Power Electronic Stacks enable our customers to succeed in dynamic markets and meet any global challenge. We deliver diode-, IGBT- and SiC-MOSFET-based stacks for AC voltages from 380V to 690V. Our standard stacks cover an output current range from 70A to 4000A.
- Water Cooled IGBT Stacks
- Air Cooled IGBT Stacks
- Diode/Thyristor Stacks
SEMISTACK CLASSIC B6U/B6C/W3C
In addition to standard stacks, SEMIKRON has vast experience in developing customer-specific solutions. Engineers are available in our stack centres around the globe to offer such solutions by adapting existing platforms or designing customized stacks.
Four Key Factors for your success
- Shortest time to market
- Cost savings in R&D, production and qualification
- Global SEMIKRON stack production footprint
- Highly experienced engineering team
Product Portfolio IGBT Driver
Above the Standard
SEMIKRON’s unique product portfolio enables access to all established industries with a one-stop solution that combines state-of-the-art power modules and driver electronics.
SEMIKRON’s IGBT drivers are available as one- or two channel driver boards, two-channel driver cores for PCB-Integration, suitable for any standard semiconductor power module or as Plug-and-Play solutions, which perfectly fit the SEMiX 3 Press-Fit, SEMITRANS 10 and compatible modules.
Achieve outstanding system compactness and create space-and cost-effective inverter designs with SEMIKRON’s drivers, utilizing highly integrated ASIC technology. Isolated DC-link voltage and temperature sensor signals at the driver’s interface along with over-voltage and over-temperature lockout also help to reduce system costs significantly.
More than 25 years of experience in developing innovative IGBT driver electronics enables SEMIKRON to have a short-term solution for almost every challenge related to driver electronics. SEMIKRON’s Plug-and-Play drivers connect directly to most common standard IGBT modules. The IGBT driver cores fit with SEMIKRON’s adapter boards or application sample PCBs. For the latter, SEMIKRON shares the entire manufacturing data to decrease development time, speeding up the time-to-market.
SEMIKRON’s SKYPER and SKHI drivers are well-known, highly robust and reliable IGBT driver solutions, even under demanding environmental conditions.
Over many years of field operation experience the proprietary IGBT driver technology has been relentlessly developed further. This technology sets new standards for the essential features of safe gate control, reliable protection and reinforced insulation.
- Reinforced insulation for signal and power transmission
- One- and two-channel driver
- Up to 1700V transient collector-emmitter voltage
- Up to 1500V continuous DC link voltage
- 8Apk to 35Apk output current per channel
- 1W to 4.2W peak output power per channel
- Suitable for multi-level topologies and Generation 7 IGBT
- SKYPER® & SKHI
- Two-channel driver cores for PCB integration with SEMIKRON ASIC technology, electrical interface and integrated safety functions
- Two-channel drivers for direct module mounting with SEMIKRON ASIC technology, electrical or optical interface and integrated safety functions
Driver boards, adapter Boards and Application Samples
- One- and two-channal driver boards with electrical interface and integrated safety functions
- Adapter boards for driver core mounting to SEMIKRON IGBT and SiC-MOSFET modules
Thermal Interface Materials (TIM)
Stay Cool – Heat Dissipation is Our Job
SEMIKRON was the first power module manufacturer on the market to offer power modules with pre-applied thermal interface material in thermal paste form. With more than two decades of field experience and more than 17 million pre-printed modules in the field, benchmarks are being set. The modules with pre-applied TIM are printed in a clean environment on an automated and SPC controlled silkscreen and stencil printing line.
For each requirement, SEMIKRON offers the right choice of material. In addition to the standard silicone thermal grease, phase change materials and high performance thermal paste with improved thermal performance are also available.
SEMIKRON offers either thermal grease or phase change materials depending on customer requirements (e.g. performance increase, reduced handling effort) and module type (with or without baseplate). Phase change materials have a solid consistency at room temperature, fully exploiting the advantages a non-smearing TIM layer offers, with no drawbacks. Baseplate-less modules, on the other hand, usually require a lower-viscosity material to help improve robustness during assembly. Here, thermal grease is the preferred solution.
- Increased productivity thanks to reduced handling costs and improved logistics
- Low thermal resistance with optimized TIM layer thickness
- Improved lifetime and reliability
- Improved assembly robustness
- Modules can be shipped directly to the assembly line without any additional treatment processes
- Lower overall costs
- P8: Phase Change Material for highest performance
- HT: Phase Change Material for highest sink temperature
- HPTP: High Performance Thermal Paste
- P12: Standard Thermal Paste